Good News – International Education Program
Communications and International Education Manager Steve Howe provided an update on the Board’s International Program. He told Trustees that Avon Maitland Schools have welcomed 69 international fee paying students to start the new school year. This includes students from Brazil, Mexico, Denmark, Finland, Estonia, Germany, China, Switzerland and Spain. It is also expected that more international students will sign up for the second semester.
DELF – Internationally Recognized French Diplomas
Superintendent Jane Morris and Junior Intermediate Program Coordinator Laurie Long talked about the great strides taken in the Board encouraging students to take up the challenge of DELF International. The DELF and DALF are 6 independent diplomas awarded by the French Ministry of National Education to assess language skills of people whose first language is not French. They are designed by the Centre International d’Etudes Pédagogiques (CIEP), a public body part of the French Ministry of Education. In three years the number of Avon Maitland studens taking the challenge grew from 3 to 38.
DELF is a set of internationally recognized French proficiency tests. It is an opportunity for our students not a requirement. There are six levels of proficiency:
- C1, C2 – proficient user of the language
- B1, B2 – intermediate user of the language
- A1, A2 – beginner user of the language
Each level has its own test and each candidate selects the level they wish to challenge. To become successful, candidates must demonstrate proficiency, based on the levels outlined by the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR), in the four areas of language:
DELF provides the opportunity for grade 12 core and secondary immersion students to receive official, international distinction for their FSL education. 18 teachers in our board have become certified as official DELF correcteurs and the DELF provides an experience and forum for their assessment and evaluation practice.
Tenders Over the Summer – Facilities Projects
At the June 25, 2013 Board meeting authority was delegated for Administration to proceed with tenders over the summer period and to report back to the Board at its next regular meeting.
St. Marys DCVI
The project at St. Marys DCVI includes masonry repair on the second storey as well as upgrades to the physics lab including removal of student benches and replacing with new, modification of teacher’s work/demonstration area, painting, new flooring and associated mechanical and electrical work. Administration approved that Smith Construction be awarded the contract in the amount of $149,273.00 recognizing the intent to expand the masonry work to the budgeted amount of $250,000. This project will be funded through School Renewal funding and will carry into the 2013-2014 fiscal year.
Boiler Replacement at Anne Hathaway Public School
The project at Anne Hathaway was to replace the existing heating boilers in the mechanical room with more efficient condensing boilers. Administration approved that Lannin Electric & Mechanical Limited be awarded the contract in the amount of $103,683.15. This project will be funded through the School Condition funding grant and will carry into the 2013/2014 fiscal year.
Chiller Replacement at Stratford Central Secondary School
The project at Stratford Central Secondary School encompasses replacement of the existing water cooled chiller for the air handling unit which serves most of the building’s interior spaces with a high efficient chiller unit, complete with associated pumps and controls. Administration approved awarding the contract to Turner Plumbing & Heating Limited in the amount of $141,611.60.
Future Board Meetings
(at Education Centre unless otherwise noted)
- Tuesday, September 24, 2013 – 7:00 p.m. Committee of the Whole, Closed Session, 8:00 p.m. Regular Board Session
- Tuesday, October 15, 2013 – 5:00 p.m. Committee of the Whole, Open Session, 7:00 p.m. Committee of the Whole, Closed Session, 8:00 p.m. Regular Board Session
- Tuesday, October 29, 2013 – 5:00 p.m. Committee of the Whole, Open Session, 7:00 p.m. Committee of the Whole, Closed Session, 8:00 p.m. Regular Board Session
Future Meetings/Events with Trustee Representation
(at Education Centre unless otherwise noted)
- Parent Involvement Committee (PIC): Wednesday, September 11, 2013 – 6:00 p.m.
- Audit Committee: Tuesday, October 1, 2013 – 5:00 p.m.
- Student Advisory Committee: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 – 6:30 p.m.
- AODA: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 – 4:00 p.m.
- SEAC: Wednesday, October 2, 2013 – 4:00 p.m.
- PIC: Wednesday, October 2, 2013 – 6:00 p.m.
- MPPs and Trustees: Friday, October 11, 2013 – 3:00 p.m.