There is an opening for a full-time Manager of Communications and Public Relations Support Services at the Education Centre, effective July 1, 2017.
Reporting to the Director of Education, the Manager of Communications and Public Relations Support Services provides strategic communication counsel to the Director of Education, Senior Staff, Chair and Vice Chair and elected board of trustees. Responsible for identifying emerging issues, developing and implementing comprehensive communication plans for both internal and external communication, develops key messages, serves as a spokesperson for the board on major issues and builds strong, positive relationships with media.
- Conceptualize, implement and manage the development of innovative and creative communication, public affairs/marketing and media relations plans and strategies that align with the Board’s strategic plan;
- Act as primary contact and respond to inquiries and requests for information from the general public, the community at large, other levels of government, agencies in the community and the media;
- Manage all emergency and time-sensitive communication matters;
- Assist in the preparation of messages, using various forms of media, on behalf of the Director of Education and Chair of the Board;
- Attend and support different stakeholder group meetings including Senior Staff and board meetings;
- Assist school administrators with public relations, communication issues, and the development of communications to parents and the community as needed;
- Develop working relationships with school councils and the community with the purpose of fostering positive communications and community relations;
- Manage the Board’s website, affiliated sites, social media and digital media production including the Transportation website on inclement weather days;
- Actively participate as the staff representative with the Avon Maitland Parent Involvement Committee by attending meetings and following up on action items;
- Assist in the development and coordination of various plans and events including the Tragic Event Response Support Team Plan and other events as required;
- Act as a representative on various committees such as the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) Committee;
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the Communication Department; and,
- Other related duties as assigned.
Preferred Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor Degree in Public Relations, Communication, Journalism, or a related education;
- Accreditation in public relations is preferred;
- Minimum of five (5) years of related professional experience, preferably in the public sector.
- Demonstrated experience in media relations, community relations, internal communication and special event planning;
- Proven capabilities in developing communication plans;
- Strong project management skills;
- Effective report and speech writing skills;
- Excellent verbal, written, analytical, interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to communicate in a clear and concise manner;
- Highly organized, motivated, positive and proactive with the ability to take initiative, manage multiple projects simultaneously to ensure deadlines are met;
- Strong team player and ability to work collaboratively across different fields and teams;
- Displays professionalism and diplomacy and ability to maintain strict confidentiality;
- Working knowledge of photo and video editing and graphic/print design tools such as Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Premiere Pro.
- Ability to build, maintain and utilize positive relationships to promote the business of the school board
This is a permanent full-time position at thirty-five (35) hours per week with some evening hours and is paid in accordance with the Non-Union Management Terms and Conditions of Employment.
Interested applicants are requested to send a letter of application along with a resume providing a complete summary of the candidate’s qualifications and experience, as well as the name, address and phone number of three work-related references, by e-mail to the address below prior to 4:00 pm on June 2, 2017. We thank candidates who submit an application and advise that only candidates who are chosen for an interview will receive a reply.
Communications Manager Job Competition
Avon Maitland District School Board