- Meets on the first Wednesday of every month from September to June.
- Meetings are open to the public. (see previous minutes)
- Participates in the annual review of the Board’s Special Education Plan.
- Reviews and makes recommendations to the Board on issues concerning the special education budget.
The Education Act of Ontario requires that:
- S57.1(1) “Every district school board shall establish a special education advisory committee.”
- Reg. 464/97 s.11(1) “A special education advisory committee to a board may make recommendations to the board in respect of any matter affecting the establishment, development and delivery of special education programs and services for exceptional pupils of the board.”
Parents/Student Access to the Electronic Individual Education Plan (IEP) Template
In response to requests from parents, and parent organizations to have access to the electronic IEP template, the Ministry of Education has developed a pre-populated (profile section), read-only version of the electronic template.
Parents and students can access the electronic IEP template by selecting this link: Ministry of Education IEP Template
The Ministry of Education template is available in both English and French. Once logged on to the template, there are links to an Instruction Guide, as well as a link to commonly asked questions and answers that are regularly updated. Parents, students and parent organizations may also refer to The Individual Education Plan A Resource Guide (2004) for additional information about developing IEPs.
Special Education Advisory Committee Members
Members: Representatives and alternates from local associations for 2015 – 2016
Voting Members and Alternates
- Katie Fox Chair, Foundations of Huron
- Marty Krebs Vice-Chair, Member at Large
- Lynette Geddes Trustee
- Terri Sparling Huron Perth Centre
- Carol Bennewies Member at Large
- Jennifer Costello St. Marys and Area Community Living
- Trevor McGregor Community Living Stratford & Area
- Doug Pratley Trustee
- Lisa Harper Spinal Bifida & Hydrocephalus Association of Ontario
- Doris Barkley Perth District Health Unit, Autism Ontario
- Emma Bannerman Secondary Principal
- Greg Haber Elementary Principal
- Peggy Blair Superintendent of Education
- Eleanor Salmon System Principal
- Jane Morris Superintendent of Education
- Mary Lynn MacDonald Parents for Gifted Education, Member at Large (Alternate)
- Randy Wagler Trustee, (Alternate)
- Nancy Rothwell Trustee, (Alternate)
Nominations for Appointees
Special Education Advisory Committee Nominations for Appointees
Local associations/organizations that work to further the interests and well-being of exceptional children or adults are encouraged to nominate a representative to serve as a volunteer on the AMDSB Special Education Advisory Committee. Members of SEAC are:
- at least 18 years of age;
- a Canadian citizen;
- live within the boundaries of the Avon Maitland District School Board;
- and not an employee of the School Board.
Letter of Application is to be sent to: Connie Trotter, Executive Assistant Avon Maitland District School Board 62 Chalk Street, North Seaforth, ON N0K 1W0 Telephone:1-800-592-5437 Fax: (519) 527-0222 or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Important Community Links
- Foundations Huron: www.clch.ca/foundations.html
- Community Living St. Marys: www.communitylivingstmarys.com/
- Community Living North Perth: www.communitylivingontario.ca/
- Community Living Stratford and Area: http://clsa.ca/
- Autism Ontario: www.autismontario.com/