Exceptional staff and students at AMDSB were acknowledged by manufacturers, entrepreneurs and the Ministry of Education at the Huron Manufacturing Association‘s annual awards ceremony last week.
“The HMA Awards Gala is one of the highlights of the year”, states Jeff Piro AMDSB Pathways Coordinator. “It is such a wonderful celebration of all the good things that are happening in our area.”
- AMDSB student Nic Zwep won the First Annual SHSM Apprenticeship Award ($1,000).
- AMDSB teacher Terry Zachar (CHSS) won the Tech Ed Teacher of the Year Award.
- AMDSB students won all three Apprenticeship Awards ($1,000 each).
- Alexis Edward
- Jeffery Plaetzer
- Murray Dale
AMDSB students Ryan Edward-Kiss and Tristan Rhodes from CHSS were also recognized for their work in rebuilding the new HMA website.
The Ministry of Education’s Sudeshna Dutta (Student Success Education Officer) presented the Apprenticeship Awards and then took a moment to point out to the crowd that AMDSB has approximately a 60% Technical Education (Tech Ed) footprint compared to the rest of the province at 40%. She praised AMDSB, Jeff Piro and Ken Bailey for the strong and significant work to promote Tech Ed and Specialist High Skills Major programs (SHSM) and for their ongoing engagement with community partners such as Huron Manufacturing Association (HMA).
“The introduction of the HMA SHSM Apprenticeship Scholarship identifies the organizations commitment to the program and the youth in the area. Congratulations for being one of the first associations in the province to do so”, Sudeshna said. “It is important for the communities of Huron and Perth that employers continue to invest in experiences which showcase to youth that rewarding well-paying careers can be found locally.”
Dutta finished by celebrating the number of Co-op employers in the area who continue to inspire students with engaging learning opportunities regardless of their pathway.
Jeff Piro, AMDSB Pathways Coordinator: “We are so thankful to have the support of the Huron Manufacturing Association membership and the executive, in providing rich and engaging cooperative education placements, industry tours and guest speakers. The Apprenticeship Awards are as much a celebration of the students who are chosen as they are to the employers that take them on. The addition of the new Specialist High Skills Major Award further highlights that AMDSB Tech Ed and Co-op programs are making a significant impact and should be considered by all students regardless of their pathway as the SHSM program successfully prepares them for their future ahead. All of the award nominees clearly demonstrate that innovation, creativity and entrepreneurship are at the heart and soul of their ideas, products and processes. It should be noted as well that all of the night’s award winners spoke to the value of being in Huron County and gave their sincerest thanks to the dedicated staff for their hard work and attention to excellence.”
About the HMA and the Awards
In 1998, a core group of manufacturing and municipal leaders known as the Huron Manufacturing Group recognized the need for greater awareness, community support and further growth of Huron County’s manufacturing sector. Recently the organization held the 2016 Huron Manufacturing Awards (HMA) which recognizes and celebrates achievements made in manufacturing. It also serves as a wonderful networking opportunity for like-minded individuals to connect and share ideas.
A trade show was held prior to the awards ceremony that allowed people the chance to experience the variety of innovative products, services, and resources, that are owned and operated by manufacturers in Huron/Perth.
The HMA understands the important role that youth retention plays when it comes to the continued progress in the Huron/Perth manufacturing industry. They are a big proponent when it comes to youth in manufacturing education, and the awards night is a great chance to recognize those in the industry that are championing this cause.
Below is the list of winners for the various award categories
Youth Integration Award was a tie between:
Seaforth Elevators & Expediting / Vanastra Packaging
Innovative Manufacturing Award:
The Garlic Box Inc.
Innovative Product Award:
Marcrest Manufacturing “Bale Baron”
Corporate Citizenship Award was a tie between:
Sun-North Systems Ltd.
Outstanding Associate Member Award:
Municipality of Huron East
Employer of the Year Award:
Health & Safety Award:
Tech Teacher of the Year Award:
Terry Zachar, Central Huron Secondary School
Exporter of the Year Award:
General Coach Canada
Manufacturer of the Year award:
General Coach Canada
Andrew Mass, Chair of the HMA, spoke to us about the future of the manufacturing industry in Rural Ontario.