On February 21st, 2018, our fourth annual “Choosin’ Inclusion” student symposium was held at the Stratford Rotary Complex. Around 150 Participants from all 9 of our Secondary Schools, community members, Administrators, Lead Teachers and Educational Assistants were in attendance.
This symposium provides all our secondary schools with a platform for discussion in order to promote positive inclusive learning environments within their schools and allows them the opportunity to celebrate their work and discuss their ideas.
Participants had the opportunity to listen and learn from others who share messages of how they have been including others and working towards inclusive school communities. School teams collaborated on continuing or commencing student driven initiatives to raise awareness and support of inclusive education for their classrooms and school communities.
The Learning Goals of the 2018 Secondary Symposium are:
- Understanding our individual and collective responsibility to strengthen positive inclusive learning environments
- Appreciating our own and others’ unique talents, interests and abilities
- Recognizing different ways of supporting each other
- Developing leadership skills
- Honouring all voices to inform calls to action