Student scientists (Grades 7 to 9 ) from across the Avon Maitland and Huron-Perth Catholic District School Boards stood project to project for the annual Huron Perth Science Fair on April 7, 2016.
Participation in the Fair doubled over last year with 84 students and 56 projects in all.
“This is very heartening for the [Science Fair] committee, volunteers, sponsors and all who believe strongly in these opportunities for the good of young people and science,” states Fair coordinator Laurie Kraftcheck.
Every year entrants dream of going to the Nationals known as the Canada Wide Science Fair. This year the 55th Canada Wide Science Fair is being held in Montreal, QC from May 15 to May 20.
The Huron Perth Science Fair annually sends at least 4 students to the once-in-a-lifetime event.
The 2016 Huron Perth – Canada Wide Team will include:
- Sierra Strong – Precious Blood School, Exeter – Project: “Is Your House Killing You?”
- Emma Regier – Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, Dashwood – Project: “Temperature Tangles”
- Jillian Regier – Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, Dashwood – Project: “Temperature Tangles”
- Danny Bae – St. Aloysius, Stratford – Project: “Train vs Plain”
- Averlee Jardine-Pilion – Huron Centennial, Brucefield – Project: “Teen Stress”
Pictured below from the ceremonies is (R to L) Gary O’Donnell – Superintendent of Education for Huron Perth Catholic DSB, Sierra Strong, Emma Regier, Jillian Regier, Danny Bae, Averlee Jardine-Pilion and Randy Wagler – Avon Maitland DSB trustee.
The Huron Perth Science Fair Committee wishes to thank the following sponsors who have shown their belief in the value of these events through financial support:
- Canada Wide Sponsor – D&D Automation
- Isaac Newton – Hay Communications Co-op Ltd.
- Roberta Bondar – Clinton Optimist Club
- Stephen Hawking
Kiwanis Club Stratford
Steve and Carien Jutting
Marklevitz Architects Inc
- Judges Appreciation Sponsor – Blyth Festival
We acknowledge these supporters for their chosen levels:
- David Suzuki
Wayne and Harold Smith Construction Ltd.
Goderich Lioness Club
- Banting & Best
Avon Maitland Principals’ Council in Honour of Mike Ash
J. Kerr Construction Ltd.
- Fun with Science
Wayne and Deborah Caldwell
Dr. Michael Dawson
Perth Veterinary Services
South Easthope Mutual Insurance
- Mad Scientist
Listowel Holdings Ltd.
Science Fair Award Sponsors
- Tuckersmith Communications Ltd.
- Director of Education, HPCDSB
- Director of Education, AMDSB
- Science Fair Committee
- Marklevitz Architect Inc.
- Ausable Bayfield Conservation Authority
- Bio Agri Mix Total Solutions
- D&D Automation
The Huron Perth Science Fair is organized by a committee of educators and community members and supported by a partnership between the two school boards (Avon Maitland and Huron Perth Catholic) along with the Foundation for Education.