The Avon Maitland District School Board invites applications for a full-time Building Environmental Systems (BES) Chief at Central Huron Secondary School in Clinton, Ontario effective January 3, 2019, reporting to the School Principal and Custodial Services Officer. This is a permanent 12 month per year position at 40 hours per week. Shift work may be required.
Under the direction of the Facilities Department, the Building Environmental Systems Chief (BES Chief) oversees and monitors all aspects of facility performance related to energy, safety, and environment pertaining to building envelope and systems. The BES Chief focuses on the functioning of all systems including their interconnectedness, sustainability and efficient operation. This position also directs and coordinates the activities of custodians engaged in keeping areas in the school and other buildings on the school grounds in clean and orderly condition.
The general overall function has responsibility for:
- maintaining school systems, buildings and surrounding property;
- planning, directing the work of Lead Hand, Basic Custodians and Casual Custodians, and any other appropriate custodial personnel;
- performing work to meet maintenance requirements in accordance with board guidelines;
- communicating effectively with school staff, board office staff and community;
- work along side team to perform all minor and major cleaning within the location;
- appropriately operating all equipment and machinery as required; and, reacting to change productively and handling other tasks as assigned.
Job Specifications & Requirements
Education and Experience
A secondary school diploma is required. Post secondary certification in the Building Environmental Systems (BES) and Building Environmental Systems Facility Manager (minimum “B” grade) or equivalent programs are required in addition to 5 years experience in corporate building maintenance/repair and effective leadership skills; or, Provincial certificate of qualification as a Plumber or Electrician and 5 years experience in the trades and corporate building maintenance/repair and effective leadership skills.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Advanced ability to detect and anticipate problems requiring repair and to coordinate the necessary resources required to remediate the problem, offering support and technical advice as needed;
- Advanced technical aptitude with respect to all mechanical and electrical applications, including building control systems, water and sewage, including the operations and maintenance of HVAC systems, as well as plumbing and electrical maintenance;
- Excellent computer literacy skills and ability to effectively utilize facilities management software suite, Board email and other applicable software packages (i.e. SmartFind Express);
- Experience in safe cleaning methods, materials and equipment;
- Ability to use and repair/maintenance of hand tools, small power tools, gardening tools;
- Ability to use and repair/maintenance of cleaning equipment (snow plow, lawn mower, buffers, auto scrubbers, carpet extractors, etc.); and,
- Ability to safely use various types of pipe, wire, lumber, building materials, cleaning supplies, ladders and scaffolds.
Regulation and Compliance
- Good knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, WHMIS and related regulations, Asbestos Management System, Ontario Fire Code as it relates to the position;
- Advanced ability to comprehend manuals, safety guidelines and other materials to determine their applicability to the working environment and to monitor compliance with guidelines;
- Ability to learn new systems and processes, either through documentation, demonstration or other direction and to apply those systems in the worksite; and,
- Strong ability to understand the requirement for privacy, to respect confidentiality of information and to practice tact and diplomacy.
Communication and Personal
- Advanced ability to communicate effectively, written and oral, with public, visitors, contractors, staff, students, supervisor, co-workers and administration;
- Advanced ability to effectively manage changing conditions and continuous improvements; be adaptable and receptive to new ideas and change and acting as a positive change agent within the worksite;
- Strong demonstrated record of taking the initiative to identify, solve or prevent problems and capitalize on opportunities through effective communication, teamwork and other appropriate approaches; and,
- Advanced ability to work well with a variety of people and respond constructively to special needs and requests.
Organization, Management and Leadership
- Advanced ability to organize both priorities and people in changing environment;
- Advanced ability to organize and lead site-based implementation of system initiatives involving multiple people and new systems or processes;
- Advanced ability to motivate and organize custodians by instruction, demonstration or example;
- Strong leadership skills, including ability to coordinate, organize, delegate responsibilities and communicate effectively within a large team; and,
- Strong ability to effectively resolve and reduce conflict amongst peers.
Interested applicants are requested to send a letter of application along with a resume, including expressed written authorization to contact 3 employment-related references.
Applications will be received until 4:00 p.m., Friday, December 14, 2018.
We thank candidates who submit an application and advise that only candidates who are chosen for an interview will receive a reply. Note – A criminal background check will be part of the recruitment process.
Building Environmental Systems (BES) Chief Job Competition – CHSS
Avon Maitland District School Board
62 Chalk Street North
Seaforth, ON N0K 1W0
Dr. Lisa Walsh, Director of Education
Colleen Schenk, Chair