Avon Maitland District School Board Invites Applications for a Manager of Communications and Public Relations Support Services.
Serving over 15,000 students, the Avon Maitland District School Board (AMDSB) is an innovative Board with facilities covering Huron and Perth Counties in southwestern Ontario, including the City of Stratford and rural communities bordering the beautiful shores of Lake Huron. Based in our Education Centre in Seaforth, the AMDSB invites applications for the position of full-time permanent Manager of Communications and Public Relations Support Services, effective immediately.
Reporting to the Director of Education, the Manager of Communications will provide internal and external communications for Trustees, the Director, Senior Staff and Avon Maitland District School Board (AMDSB) Schools, including strategic advice, media relations, public relations, speaking notes, publications, community outreach, parent engagement, marketing and special events. The Manager of Communications will also lead all online communications, including the Board’s internal and external websites and social media. Communications will be aligned with the vision, mission, values and priorities of AMDSB.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide strategic communication guidance for the Director of Education and Senior Staff, including advice on emerging issues, policies and procedures;
- Establish, implement and oversee all communications procedures and practices for the Board, schools, programs and initiatives;
- Provide dynamic leadership and direction for the ongoing development and maintenance of the Board’s internal and external websites, school websites and social media communications program, including day-to-day management, messaging and maintenance to enhance communications with students, staff, families, media and partners;
- Develop creative, consistent and proactive branding and marketing strategies;
- Remain current with effective practices, trends, tools, applications and emerging technologies in communications, including social media, using a variety of platforms; and,
- Actively participate on strategizing committees such as Senior Staff, Parent Involvement Committee, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
- Evaluate and enhance communications plans and strategies to support the AMDSB strategic plan;
- Identify and respond to emerging issues using a variety of communications tools, including traditional media and social media;
- Provide communications support for emergency situations, including lockdowns and timely inclement weather day updates;
- Respond to sensitive situations with diplomacy and tact, respecting confidentiality and privacy provisions;
- Write speaking notes and messages for the Chair of the Board, Trustees, Director of Education and Senior Staff on a variety of topics, some involving sensitive subjects;
- Produce publications, including brochures, flyers, guides and reports; and,
- Develop creative and proactive marketing and implement public information for student registrations, including radio, television, newspaper and social media campaigns.
- Manage day-to-day workings of the Communications Department to ensure efficient and effective operation;
- Liaise with the media, including coordinating media events, researching and writing media advisories, news releases and articles, promoting school initiatives, and responding to media requests, on deadline;
- Coordinate special events including Board Awards and Employee Recognition;
- Order and maintain an inventory of Board promotional material in keeping with visual identity standards;
- Provide photography/video services and graphic design support; and,
- Other related duties that may be assigned in support of the communications function.
Preferred Qualifications and Experience
- College diploma and/or university degree in communications, marketing, public relations, political science or a related field;
- Accreditation in public relations is preferred;
- Minimum five years experience supporting the development, implementation and evaluation of corporate communications strategies and initiatives; and,
- Knowledge and understanding of public education an asset.
- Proven dynamic leadership experience and capabilities in a communications position;
- High level of confidence and comfort/experience in interacting with the media and serving as a chief spokesperson;
- Displays professionalism and diplomacy and ability to maintain strict confidentiality;
- Highly organized, motivated, and proactive and can manage multiple projects simultaneously;
- Collaborative team player who builds and utilizes positive relationships to promote the image of the school board;
- Excellent written communications skills and deep knowledge of communications principles, procedures and practices;
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills, including the ability to train others;
- Proven diplomacy, flexibility, the ability to remain calm under pressure, deal with ambiguity, and deliver results under tight timelines;
- Excellent project management skills and organizational skills; and,
- Superior level of proficiency in the use of communications tools, including website content management systems, social media applications, graphic design programs, photo/video software, presentation software and office software;
This is a permanent full-time position and is governed by the Non-Union/Management Terms and Conditions of Employment, which provides a competitive salary, benefits and pension plan.
Interested applicants are requested to send a letter of application along with a resume providing a complete summary of the candidate’s qualifications and experience, as well as the name, address and phone number of three work-related references, by e-mail to email@example.com by 4:00 p.m. on Friday, July 27, 2018. We thank candidates who submit an application and advise that only candidates who are chosen for an interview will receive a reply.
The AMDSB is committed to equity in employment and equitable hiring practices that allow us to hire qualified staff who reflect diversity in our communities. We will make any reasonable accommodation, based on any of the human rights protected grounds, to support candidates to participate in the hiring process. Note: A satisfactory criminal background check will be part of the recruitment process.