Stratford Secondary and Elementary Schools (SSES) Welcome BBQ
We welcome all students to visit the school for activities and a BBQ on Wednesday August 28th. Please note the times below. Please be aware that the front entrance to the building is closed due to construction. However, all the other entrances into the school will be open. Students and parents should look for and follow the signs to the area where the bbq is being held.
Grades 7-8: 11 am – 12 pm
Grades 9-10: 12 pm – 1 pm
Grades 11-12: 1 pm – 2 pm
SSES Daily Schedule:
2019-2020 Grade 7/8 Daily Schedule:
P1 8:50 am – 9:30 am
P2 9:30 am – 10:10 am
P3 10:10 am – 10:50 am
Lunch 10:50 am – 11:35 am
P4 11:35 am – 12:15 pm
P5 12:15 pm – 12:55 pm
P6 12:55 pm – 1:35 pm
Nutrition 1:35 pm – 1:40 pm
P7 (homeroom) 1:40 pm – 2:40 pm
2019-2020 Grade 9/10 Daily Schedule:
P1 8:55 am – 10:10 am
P2 10:15 am – 11:30 am
P3/4 11:40 am – 12:55 pm
P5 Lunch 12:55 pm – 1:38 pm
P6 1:38 pm – 2:53 pm
2019-2020 Grade 11-12 Daily Schedule:
P1 8:55 am – 10:10 am
P2 10:15 am – 11:30 am
P3 Lunch 11:35 am – 12:18 pm
P4/5 12:18 pm – 1:33 pm
P6 1:38 pm – 2:53 pm
September – First Day of School
We will be having a staggered start to the 2019-2020 school year. Grade 7, 8 and 9 students will start school on Tuesday, September 3. Grade 7 and 8 students should go to the large gym when they arrive (no later than 8:45 am). Grade 9s should also go to the large gym when they arrive (no later than 8:55 am).
All students in grades 10-12 will join the students in grades 7-8-9 on Wednesday September 4. Lists will be posted in the school indicating the room location where each student will begin on this day. Assemblies for students in grades 10-12 will occur throughout this day.
Attached are the following maps:
- Traffic/Parking Overview
- Map 1A (am busing) drop locations as well as the grade 7-8 designated group stop pickup locations for transportation to SSES.
- Map 1B (pm busing) departure locations and times from the SSES site.
- Stratford Central grade 9 shuttle and senior students if space permits (am/pm)
Grade 7/8 Student Transportation
Grade 7 and 8 students beyond the 1.6 km distance from SSES will receive transportation from designated group stops in Stratford. If your child is in grade 7 or 8 and eligible for transportation, you should have been contacted by the Transportation department with the bus stop location and pickup time. Parents are also able to access the Bus Planner parent portal to obtain this information at ourschoolbuses.ca/busplanner-web.
Stratford Central Shuttle
The Transportation Consortium policy requirements for busing are clear and consistent for all students, with the walking distance for secondary students set at 4.8 km, beyond which transportation is provided.
There is a one-year only provision for Grade 9 students (and senior students if space permits) who would have attended Stratford Central (SC) to receive transportation to SSES by school bus shuttle from the Central flats in the mornings and return after school, as we work to address safety and traffic around SSES.
If any space is available on these shuttles, senior students can access these shuttles. We are sorry that we cannot accommodate all grade 10 to 12 students for this one year option, but we also know that, due to personal schedules, some students are choosing to drive or be driven, some walking and some accessing public transit. Again, this is a one year only provision. Please see the attached map for pick up location and times and please do not park in the bus loading area.
Safe Cycling Routes
The Perth District Health Unit has provided safe cycling routes for students. See the links below.
Cycling from Central/Downtown – www.plotaroute.com/route/908493
Cycling From Avon Ward – www.plotaroute.com/route/908463
Cycling From O’Loane – www.plotaroute.com/route/908473
Cycling From Greenwood Ward – www.plotaroute.com/route/908445
Cycling From Bedford Ward – Beginner – www.plotaroute.com/route/905458
Once the route is in view, you can zoom in and even print off directions. To print off directions, click on ‘Menu’, click on ‘Directions’, then “Print Directions’.
City of Stratford Transit Information
The City of Stratford offers special routes to support our secondary students. See the City of Stratford’s Transit website at www.stratfordcanada.ca/en/livehere/transit.asp.
Traffic and Safety
Traffic around SSES next year has been one of the foci of our efforts in bringing the schools together for the 2019/2020 school year. We have been working with the Huron-Perth Catholic Board, City staff, police and fire officials on a multi-faceted approach to traffic calming and management, to ensure the safety of pedestrians and vehicles around the school site. Student safety is our number one priority!
We examined a number of possible solutions but in the end decided, with our partners, to move forward with the following changes:
- No parking/stopping on both sides of Forman Ave. from Short St. to Oakdale Ave
- Reduced speed limit (40km/h) around the entire SERC site
- Pedestrian crossover on Forman Ave. north of the intersection with Oakdale Ave. (to be installed by the City in September)
- New vehicle entrance/exit from our north parking lot to Short St. – for student parking this coming year
- Parental drop off/pick up location for students at the Cornerstone church site, with entrance off Britannia St. and exit onto Forman Ave., with appropriate signage. Given the proximity of the access on Brittania St. to the intersection with Forman Ave., to do otherwise would result in increased backup of traffic and increased risk of collisions
- Additional parental drop off/pick up location and overflow parking at Matilda St. parking lot south of Oakdale Ave. near the tennis courts
- Creation with the Huron-Perth Catholic Board, of a shared parking/traffic monitor to assist in managing transportation and student arrivals and departures
- Request for increased Police presence in the area, when possible
- Request for increased Fire presence to ensure compliance with No Stopping areas in particular
- Communication to students and parents, and request for respect of the traffic plan around the school
We are also asking Police for a heightened presence in the area during the first two weeks of school to ensure good traffic habits become the norm.
Questions or concerns should be directed to Principal Kevin Mills.